Under the CPCS Scheme, category A40 (Slinger/Signaller) is broken down into endorsements. These are:
- ‘All Types – All Duties’: This includes ‘pick and carry’ equipment, such as mobile cranes on wheels, excavators, tele-handlers and crawler cranes
- ‘All Types – Static Duties’: This includes all static lifting equipment, such as mobile cranes on outriggers, lorry loaders and tower cranes
- ‘Knuckle Boom – Static Duties Only’: This is for using lorry loaders and other knuckle boom cranes only
- ‘Excavator Only’
- ‘Lift Truck Only’
We primarily provide training and testing for endorsements A and B. Endorsement A covers all other endorsements. Endorsement B covers the use of all static equipment.
Training and testing for other endorsements can be arranged on request.
To provide candidates with the knowledge, skills and understanding to correctly sling various loads and effectively direct lifting equipment using an agreed signalling system.
For successful completion of the course, candidates will be required to:
- Demonstrate a suitable level of knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation, industry best practice and technical elements
- Carry out pre-use checks on lifting accessories and identify defective equipment
- Select suitable lifting accessories for a given load, based on weight, dimensions and material
- Sling loads correctly using an appropriate method
Effectively direct the lifting equipment and load using both hand signals and radio signals
Target Delegate and Suitability
This course is for those who are required to sling loads and give signals to lifting equipment operators as part of their role. Candidates must be fluent in spoken English, unless suitable arrangements are made prior to booking.
Prior to attending this course, candidates must have passed the CITB Health, Safety and Environmental Test at ‘Managerial and Professional’ level within two years. For further information, or to book a test, visit: www.citb.co.uk/cards-testing/health-safety-environment-test
Please contact us if you have any queries regarding your suitability.
- Five days for A40a (pick & carry and static equipment)
- Four days for A40b (static equipment); although five day courses are also available
- Three days (theory and practical training given)
Two days (theory refreshment and practical awareness only)
CPCS Technical Test for category A40 (endorsement A or B), which includes a verbal theory test and a practical test. Further information on this test is available to download from the CPCS website (scroll down to ‘Category Specific Documents’).
Successful candidates will be issued with a red CPCS ‘Trained Operator’ Card with category A40 (including the relevant endorsement).
This can also be delivered as an in-house course.
Overview of Course Content
- Relevant legislation and codes of practice
- Roles and responsibilities within lifting operations
- Understanding capacity and configuration of lifting equipment
- Correct use of cranes and other lifting equipment
- Understanding, agreeing and using effective signalling systems
- Proximity hazards and associated measures
- The effect of weather conditions on lifting operations
- Pre-use checks on lifting accessories
- Lifting accessory types and uses
- Understanding the rating of lifting accessories
- Correct slinging methods and techniques
- Pick and carry requirements and procedures